Master of Science (M.S.), Environmental Studies and Communications
2012 – 2015
(View graduate portfolio)
Columbia College Chicago
BFA, Fiction Writing, Teaching of Creative Writing
2002 – 2006
All types of writing and communication, editing for content, fluency and conventions, producing high quality work under deadline, reporting, interviewing, gathering research and presenting it in a easy to understand, well written, enjoyable article, story, etc., Organizing work flows for editing of manuscript. Independent problem solving, Chicago and AP style., Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office; Open Office suite; Adobe InDesign; light HTML; photo editing with GIMP; web management through Word Press and Expression Engine; organization and team management through Base Camp; Social media through Hoot Suite, mass mailing through Mail Chimp and icontact), intermediate Spanish.
Food Tank: The Food Think Tank
Non-profit organization helping to change the global conversation about food to achieve a healthier more sustainable food system.
March – May 2013 – (also did contract work from January-March 2013)
Research Associate – Worked as an editorial coordinator, managing a team of interns along with colleague. Helped to Design and implement editorial process. Used Base Camp to manage, coordinate and train staff. Assigned and edited copy for the Food Tank website. Managed posting of website and basic website management.
- Co-wrote three Huffington Post columns (project ongoing).
- Helped plan and coordinate Food Tank’s first event, ‘We Can Change the Food System, Chicago!’
- Prepared website for Google News application
- Edited and coordinated copy for articles, op-eds and press releases for World Water Day.
Union Economic Strategies
Consulting firm that coordinates communications, marketing, networking and other services for unions, social justice and environmental organizations
January 2012- March 2013
Communications Coordinator – Responsible for researching, writing, editing, and developing copy for communications. Also coordinated and managed communications tasks and general administrative needs among the partners and operatives.
- Wrote copy for union teletown hall forum scripts for Richard Trumka president of the AFL-CIO, Benjamin Jealous, president of the NAACP and local union leaders to endorse President Obama, Michigan Proposal 2 on Collective Bargaining and Elizabeth Warren for the 2012 election
- Wrote copy for teletown hall to support and inform senior citizen members of the Alliance for Retired Americans about Medicare Part D.
- Wrote newsletters for Union Sportsmen Alliance, the AFL-CIO Building Investment Trust, and the AFL-CIO Investment Trust Corporation
January 2012 – May 2012
Copywriter – Wrote and edited all manner of copy for GiveForward publications such as landing pages for various fundraising categories on giveforward.com, brochures, press releases and blog posts.
- Superhero Boy (and Justice League) Vanquish Villains after Car Crash
- Affording Baby May Take a Village
- Comparison Shopping for Health Care (Interview with Dr. Leslie Ramirez, creator of Leslieslist.org)
- Oncofertility: Fertility After Cancer
- Health Care Reform: What It Could Mean For Your Family
- Brain Injury Awareness: Mild Bumps Can Have Big Consequences
- Helping a Friend with Cancer
- How to Prevent Cancer
- Financial Toll of Military Service: Veterans May Need Extra Help
August 2010 – May 2011
Communications Manager -Responsible for editing brochures and pre-tip materials for passengers and alumni professional association clients. Also managed assignments, deadlines and editing of the aforementioned materials written by freelance staff.
American Dental Association
March 2010 – August 2010
Content Writer & Editor – Was given various writing and editing jobs to assist the international relations of members and staff of the ADA. Created content for the international webpage. Wrote letters and promotional material to support philanthropic activities such as disaster relief for Haiti. Edited and composed myriads of correspondence, meeting notes, reports, and miscellaneous copy. Headed several research projects culminating in well-written detailed reports.
- Letter written for the ADA asking for the support of a fundraising program for oral health disaster relief in Haiti
- Letter written recognizing the achievement of dentist who volunteered overseas with a certificate
- Wrote guidebook for volunteer dentists planning on traveling to Haiti to help with disaster relief
January 2010 – February 2010
Copyeditor -Contract assignment in the copyediting department. Proofread manuscript (IN, LA Science Student Editions) working within Adobe InCopy and K4, precisely following the standards of the Pearson Style Guide and The Chicago Manual of Style.
October 2009 – December 2009
Temporary Editor – Specialized reads of various K-5 educational products prior to printing. Read manuscripts for repetition, contradiction, mistakes like misspelling, punctuation and grammar. Inserted correct reference information. Checked factual information and looked for anything libelous. Used Adobe Acrobat Professional, Excel, Word, Outlook, various employer asset libraries, and intranets.
October 2007 – October 2009
Editorial Project Coordinator, Elementary Reading – Specialized reads of the nations best selling teacher’s edition text prior to printing. Read manuscripts for repetition, contradiction, mistakes like misspelling, punctuation and grammar. Inserted correct reference information. Tracked various products from early stages to their completion through the publishing process. Checked factual information and looked for anything libelous. Used Adobe Acrobat Professional, Excel, Word, Entourage, various employer asset libraries, and intranets.
Gazette Chicago (formerly The Near West Gazette)
May 2006 – July 2007
Large community newspaper that covers ten of Chicago’s diverse south side neighborhoods. When I worked for the Gazette, it had a circulation of 17,500. The newspaper delivers a plethora of topics including local news, politics and community issues.
City Beat Reporter – Researched and wrote articles per assignment for newspaper. Also kept an eye out for
interesting events and pitched ideas to editor. Worked on deadline with about a three week turnover.
- Global Warming: we all can do our part to improve environment (City Beat Feature, won an award in the 20th Annual Apex Awards for Excellence competition)
- Quarry Park Slated to Open Spring 2008 (Front Page Cover Story)
- Ald. Balcer, City look to replace Bridgeport Jewel (Front Page Cover Story)
(View a list of all of my articles published in the Gazette)